The Alaska State Library offers many webinars to help educate and promote professional development for librarians across Alaska.
Webinars are presented using Blackboard Collaborate. Visit this page to verify that you can get into Elluminate. Programs with audio will require headphones or speakers connected to your computer.
- New! Public Librarians' Chat 18: When Libraries and Museums Work Together (7/14/2015): When Libraries and Museums work together, everyone benefits from a discussion on library and museum partnerships and collaborations. Our guest presenter will be Scott Carrlee, Curator of Museum Services for the Alaska State Museum. During the webinar we will discuss how users and institutions benefit when libraries and museums work together, discuss why regular and transparent communication is necessary to build successful partnerships and how to avoid pitfalls, such as the “silo mentality”, perceived threats to professional identity, and different professional values.
- Public Librarians' Chat 17: Integrated Pest Management Made Easy (6/16/2015): Ellen Carrlee, Curator for the Alaska State Library discusses library pest control prevention, monitoring and response.
- Public Librarians' Chat 16: Easy Web Design (5/12/2015): Starting with a brief discussion on library website design, Julie Niederhauser evaluates some actual library websites and shares what does and doesn’t work. Participants were introduced to some inexpensive website builder options.
- Public Librarians' Chat 15: Kristin Pekoll, Assistant Director of the ALA Office for Intellectual Freedom (4/21/2015): Our guest presenter begins the chat with a brief discussion on what to do when your library receives a challenge to library materials.
- Free Online Survey Tools (4/8/2015) with Daniel Cornwall
- Blackboard Collaborate Recording
- Sample Google Form Survey demonstrating skip logic (start with “I haven’t come …” and compare with choosing any other option)
- Public Librarians' Chat 14: How to select children's literature that accurately depict Native experiences (3/17/2015): Sorrel Godwin, Alaska State Librarian joined us as a guest presenter and shared his experience as a member of the Native Education Advisory Committee that was formed in Juneau.
- Excel Formulas (3/11/2015) with Daniel Cornwall
- Using Your OWL Screen as Digital Signage (2/11/2015) with Daniel Cornwall
- Public Librarians' Chat 13: Arrangements and Attendance to AkLA Conference 2015
CE grant, conference registration, travel arrangements, conference prep, networking strategies, conference event info, CE grant final report (2/3/2015)
- Public Librarians' Chat 12: Demystifying Brainpop Access (1/27/2015) with Daniel Cornwall
- Hour of Code: All Year Long (12/19/2014) with Daniel Cornwall and Claudia Haines
- Public Librarians' Chat 11: Combined School/Public Libraries (12/18/2014) with Amelia Wilson
- Public Librarians' Chat 10: Library Evaluation Techniques (11/18/2014)
- Public Librarians' Chat 9: Encouraging Mobile Technology at Your Library (10/21/2014)
- Public Librarians' Chat 8: Library Marketing (7/8/2014)
- Public Librarians' Chat 7: 800# Interlibrary Loan and Reference Backup Service with guest Eleanor Spees (6/10/2014)
- Public Librarians' Chat 6: Public Performance Rights (5/6/2014)
- Public Librarians' Chat 5: Small Business Resources with guest Kyle Ragan (4/15/2014)
- Tips for Engaging Learners with Bethany Wilkes, UAS (4/3/2014)
- Excel Tips and Tricks with Daniel Cornwall (3/6/2014)
- Public Librarians' Chat 4: Barbara Brown from Best Beginnings gives a brief overview on the early literacy partnerships that they support (3/4/2014)
- Office Ergonomics with Jason Burke (2/13/2014)
- Public Librarians' Chat 3: Technology Planning for Libraries with guest Valerie Oliver (2/11/2014)
- Word Tips and Tricks with Daniel Cornwall (2/7/2014)
- Public Librarians' Chat 2: Affordable Care Act with guest Crystal Bourland (1/14/2014)
- Public Librarians' Chat 1: Meet Your New Public Library Coordinator Julie Niederhauser
Source: Alaska State Library — http://library.alaska.gov