The Alaska State Library offers many webinars to help educate and promote professional development for librarians across Alaska.
Webinars were presented using Blackboard Collaborate before August 2015. Webinars beyond that timeframe were recorded using WebEx. All archived videos have been made available for viewing on YouTube, unless otherwise noted.
- New! Public Librarians' Chat 21: Collection Development, Reader’s Advisory & Novelist (11/20/2015: We shared tips, resources and strategies that will help you build a library collection that continually excites, surprises and delights your community. Also, we shared some freely available resources that will help move you from being a RA newbie to an RA expert!
- New! Tech Talks: Hour of Code: resources and events tips for December (11/6/2015): Co–hosted with Claudia Haines, Homer Public Library. The Hour of Code is a set of computer programming events held globally every December. Students of all ages are invited to spend an hour learning the basics of computer programming. This year, Hour of Code events will be held the week of December 7-13, 2015. Learn how your library could hold this STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) friendly event and hear from your colleagues who have staged a successful event at their library.
- Tech Talks: Internet filtering options / troubleshooting filtering issues (10/16/2015): A discussion on web filtering, why/why not and how, including a consumer/small library-oriented talk noting several types of filtering (DNS, router, software) and pros and cons of each. Note: this webinar was cancelled for lack of attendance. However, a Resource Guide is available.
- Public Librarians' Chat 20: Adult Programming in the Library (10/13/2015): Stacia McGourty, the Reference/Programming Librarian extraordinaire from the Z.J Loussac Library, will be sharing her process for developing fun and innovative adult programming in the library. A small sampling of adult programs held at the Loussac Library: Irish Folk Dancing, Bitcoin Meetup, Adult Writing Society, Life Drawing, I Read What I Want Book Club, MakerNight and Ukulele Practice Group.
- TechBoomers Digital Literacy for Seniors and Beginners (9/4/2015): Steve Black, CEO of TechBoomers, provides an overview of tutorial resources available on TechBoomers and how libraries can use these resources in their digital literacy classes.
- Public Librarians' Chat 19: Banned Books Week (9/1/2015): A brief discussion on Banned Books Week: Celebrating the Feed to Read which will take place September 27–October 3rd with special guest Mike Robinson, Chair of the Alaska Library Association’s Intellectual Freedom Committee. Mike shared ideas on how your library can participate and promote Banned Books Week. No video archive available.
- Public Librarians' Chat 18: When Libraries and Museums Work Together (7/14/2015): When Libraries and Museums work together, everyone benefits from a discussion on library and museum partnerships and collaborations. Our guest presenter will be Scott Carrlee, Curator of Museum Services for the Alaska State Museum. During the webinar we will discuss how users and institutions benefit when libraries and museums work together, discuss why regular and transparent communication is necessary to build successful partnerships and how to avoid pitfalls, such as the “silo mentality”, perceived threats to professional identity, and different professional values.
- Public Librarians' Chat 17: Integrated Pest Management Made Easy (6/16/2015): Ellen Carrlee, Curator for the Alaska State Library discusses library pest control prevention, monitoring and response.
- Public Librarians' Chat 16: Easy Web Design (5/12/2015): Starting with a brief discussion on library website design, Julie Niederhauser evaluates some actual library websites and shares what does and doesn’t work. Participants were introduced to some inexpensive website builder options. (This session is not archived for viewing.)
- Public Librarians' Chat 15: Kristin Pekoll, Assistant Director of the ALA Office for Intellectual Freedom (4/21/2015): Our guest presenter begins the chat with a brief discussion on what to do when your library receives a challenge to library materials.
- Free Online Survey Tools (4/8/2015) with Daniel Cornwall
- Video (YouTube, 53:56)
- Transcript (PDF)
- Sample Google Form Survey demonstrating skip logic (start with “I haven’t come …” and compare with choosing any other option)
- Public Librarians' Chat 14: How to select children's literature that accurately depict Native experiences (3/17/2015): Sorrel Godwin, Alaska State Librarian joined us as a guest presenter and shared his experience as a member of the Native Education Advisory Committee that was formed in Juneau.
- Excel Formulas (3/11/2015) with Daniel Cornwall
- Using Your OWL Screen as Digital Signage (2/11/2015) with Daniel Cornwall
- Public Librarians' Chat 13: Arrangements and Attendance to AkLA Conference 2015
CE grant, conference registration, travel arrangements, conference prep, networking strategies, conference event info, CE grant final report (2/3/2015)
- Public Librarians' Chat 12: Demystifying Brainpop Access (1/27/2015) with Daniel Cornwall
- Hour of Code: All Year Long (12/19/2014) with Daniel Cornwall and Claudia Haines
- Public Librarians' Chat 11: Combined School/Public Libraries (12/18/2014) with Amelia Wilson
- Public Librarians' Chat 10: Library Evaluation Techniques (11/18/2014)
- Public Librarians' Chat 9: Encouraging Mobile Technology at Your Library (10/21/2014)
- Public Librarians' Chat 8: Library Marketing (7/8/2014)
- Public Librarians' Chat 7: 800# Interlibrary Loan and Reference Backup Service with guest Eleanor Spees (6/10/2014)
- Public Librarians' Chat 6: Public Performance Rights (5/6/2014)
- Public Librarians' Chat 5: Small Business Resources with guest Kyle Ragan (4/15/2014)
- Tips for Engaging Learners with Bethany Wilkes, UAS (4/3/2014)
- Excel Tips and Tricks with Daniel Cornwall (3/6/2014)
- Public Librarians' Chat 4: Barbara Brown from Best Beginnings gives a brief overview on the early literacy partnerships that they support (3/4/2014)
- Office Ergonomics with Jason Burke (2/13/2014)
- Public Librarians' Chat 3: Technology Planning for Libraries with guest Valerie Oliver (2/11/2014)
- Word Tips and Tricks with Daniel Cornwall (2/7/2014)
- Public Librarians' Chat 2: Affordable Care Act with guest Crystal Bourland (1/14/2014)
Source: Alaska State Library — http://library.alaska.gov