Online Collection Resources
The majority of our collection is not available digitally. Visit Alaska's Digital Archives to view items available for download. If you find an image here that is not offered digitally, contact the Historical Collections for more information.
*Click on titles below to see resources*
- Guide to Alaska Newspapers on Microfilm (PDF)
- Index for Biographies of Alaska-Yukon Pioneers, 1850-1950, v. 1-5.
- Index to names found in Alaska Searchlight
- Index to cover photographs of Alaskan Sportsman magazine
- Index to photographers of Alaska, by Candace Waugaman
- Index to mining-related articles in Ketchikan newspapers
- Index to Alaska Gold Rush Pioneers of the Juneau-Douglas Area 1880-1921.
Published by: Juneau Pioneers of Alaska Igloo and Auxiliary No. 6 Juneau, Alaska
- Index to Alaska Free Press
- Index to Alaska Weekly and Alaska Sportsman obituaries
- Baseball in Alaska
The photographs in this online exhibit provide a glimpse into what baseball was like in Alaska over the past century.
- Golden north Salmon Derby
At that first salmon derby, Gil Eide’s main assignment was to make sure fishermen didn’t try to turn in fish after the deadline. Later on, Gil became the official photographer of derby events. In the Gil Eide Photograph Collection, there are over 800 photographs of the salmon derby, covering the years 1965 through 1973. The images in this exhibit display a small sample of the larger collection, which numbers 1724 images, including many photographs of Juneau High School activities.
- From Working Dogs to Racing Dogs
Browse images of sled dogs at work and early sled races
Browse images of famous, and infamous, shipwrecks from Alaska's maritime history
- Women on the Pipeline
The focus of this photography exhibit is on the women who were directly involved with the construction of the pipeline (1974-1977) or who provided support services essential to the project.
- Alaska at War!
A collection of World War Two photos covering a wide range of events in Alaska.
- Schools in Rural Alaska
A glimpse of education and rural life in Alaska from 1931 to 1951.
- Alaska's Digital Archives
A searchable archive of photographs and other primary source documents, principally covering the Alaskan Territorial period, 1867 to 1959. An ongoing collaborative effort of the Alaska State Library, UAA, and UAF.
- Alaska's Gold
Primary source materials from Alaska's Gold Rush enhanced with questions, suggested activities and a teacher's resources packet. Includes diaries, newspapers, maps, photographs, government documents, and more.
- Alaska's Gold Lode - Located within Alaska's Gold
This is a larger selection of documents related to the Alaska's Gold project themes. It is a virtual archives/library consisting of documents and materials associated with the Klondike and Alaska gold rushes selected from the Alaska State Library's Alaska Historical Collections, the Alaska State Archives, and the Alaska State Museum.
- Eight Stars of Gold
The story of Alaska's flag
- Gold Rush Centennial Photographs, 1893 - 1916
Celebrates Alaska's Gold Rush Centennial (1994-2004) by providing a sampling of the photographs from 1893-1916.