An excellent library in every community for every Alaskan.
Our Core Values
- Collaboration: We believe the pathway to sustainable and relevant libraries is through cooperation, collaboration and partnership.
- Professionalism: We believe that libraries benefit when we model positive, respectful and forward-looking leadership. Library development staff are committed to developing our personal expertise through continuous learning.
- Service: We believe that providing compassionate, equitable and responsive support to libraries fosters the development of a literate and empowered citizenry.
About the State Library
For Alaska Librarians
- 800# and Interlibrary Loan and Reference Backup Service
- Alaska Libraries Reciprocal Borrowing Program [external link]
- Alaska Library Directory and Map
- Alaska Library Law
- Alaska Library Network
- Alaska Native Libraries, Archives, and Museums Summit (ANLAMS)
- Alaska Public Library Report System
- Alaska School Library Handbook
- Alaska Statewide Summer Reading Program
- Cataloging & Interlibrary Loan
- Current News from the Division of Libraries, Archives and Museums (Friday Bulletin)
- E-rate: The Universal Service Fund in Alaska
- Intellectual Freedom and Censorship Issues
- Internet Circle of Safety
- Library Statistics (state and national)
- Original Cataloging for Alaska
- Ready to Read Resource Center
- Talking Book Center
Alaska State Publications & Statistics
Grants for Libraries and Schools
Library Associations Serving Alaska
Featured: New Librarian Toolkit and other resources
- Pest Management for Public Libraries
- Professional Development Resources for Public Librarians
- Library Leadership
- Libraries and Community Sustainability
- Mental Health Resources
- Programming Ideas for Librarians
- Resources for Library Trustees
- Technology Planning for Libraries
- Copyright for OWL (and more): Copyright tools and best practices
- Disaster Information Resources
Library Quick Topics & White Papers
Library Science Professional Collection
Do you need to check out practical books about managing computers in libraries, supervising staff or volunteers, developing your library collection, doing storytime for children or booktalks for adults, fundraising to enhance your budget, or serving special populations of patrons? To access the library science collection for books like these and more:
- Search the Alaska Library Catalog.
- If the books you need are in Juneau, call 907.465.2920 to place your request.
- Staff in Juneau will search the circulation system to see if you have already been issued a Capital City Library card.
- If you do not have a card, they will create one for you over the phone.
- The library science books will be mailed to you if you live outside of Juneau.
- The loan period is three weeks.
- You can always call to renew your books.
- You are responsible for mailing the books back to the State Library in Juneau.
- If you prefer, you can also request these titles through interlibrary loan.
Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA)
Page last updated 07/01/2019