InterLibrary Loans (ILL)
What is ILL and who can use it?
Since it's impossible for libraries to own everything, they've developed a voluntary system for sharing their collections called Interlibrary Loan.
At the Alaska State Library, you may request ILL services if you are an employee of the State of Alaska or have an adult or student Capital Cities Libraries (CCL) card in good standing. If the material you need is not available in Juneau, we will attempt to find it for you elsewhere. Because libraries lend their collections as a courtesy, we can't guarantee that we will be able to obtain any resource you request, but we have a good success rate.
Types of Requests
- Article/Copy Request Form (for all state employees and ALC cardholders)
- Use for request of journal and newspaper articles, book chapters, and other photocopy requests, regardless of their original format.
- Book/Microfilm Loan Request Form (For State Employees in Juneau only and ALC cardholders)
- Use for request of books, conference proceedings, audiovisual materials including microfiche and microfilm items. Please check the Alaska Library Catalog (ALC) for the title before submitting a request. If the book is owned by one of the JLC libraries you may place a hold on the title while in the catalog.
If you need additional information or assistance, please visit Ask a Librarian form. If you would prefer to talk to a person, call the Reference Line at 907-465-2920, Monday – Friday, 8:00 - 4:00pm, except on observed holidays.
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material.
Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement.
This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright.
- Please place your requests early. It can take 2-4 weeks for materials to arrive in the mail.
- Patrons will be notified when their material arrives, or if it cannot be obtained.
- Audio-visual, recently published and popular materials may not be available through ILL.
- Patrons should pick up and return materials promptly. If renewal is requested, we will contact lender.
- Contact ILL staff at (907) 465-2988 or 465-1314 with questions or concerns about your request.
- $10.00 will be charged for a rush request if the material is not for state agency work.
- Lost or damaged books will be billed to you at the rate we are charged by the lender.