Alaska State Publications
Archived Web Sites of the Alaska State Government
Keyword search historic versions of State agency web pages. You will find archived press releases and speeches from the Governor, State agency publications, video clips, audio files and much more.
Search archived websites
- Does your agency have documents that can only be found on the internet? If so, check the Web Only page.
The Alaska State Publications Program
The goal of the Alaska State Publications Program is to make state publications freely available to Alaskans by distributing them to local depository libraries. This program is mandated be Alaska Statute 14.56, the State Library Distribution and Data Access Center. Publications produced by state government are timely, pertinent, and provide a wide range of data and information to the public.
These publications are usually produced in small numbers by state agencies. Short print runs and scattered publication sites are problems that can be overcome by systematic dissemination through the depository library system. The value of state publications is enhanced by making them widely available to the public.
The benefits of the program to state government are numerous:
- State publications are cataloged into one global and many local library databases. Each database indicates which libraries own individual titles. The public can request these materials through interlibrary loan at their local library.
- Agencies can refer public requests for these materials to libraries. This service is especially valuable when the public is seeking an agency publication that is out-of-print.
- Finally, reference librarians at the depositories are trained to assist the public in finding the publications they need. This assistance can save agencies' staff time.
Submit eight copies of your publications for distribution to six depository libraries and the State Library will:
- Catalog the title into two major regional and national databases.
- Distribute it to libraries in Alaska and to the Library of Congress.
- Provide reference assistance pertaining to the publication.
- Ensure that future researchers have access to the information.
How to Submit Copies of Publications to the Program
There are three ways that state agencies can send their publications to the Alaska State Publications Program
- If you are in Juneau and have access to interoffice mail, please send your eight copies to Mail Stop 0571, Attention Government Publications.
- If you do not have access to interoffice mail and your office is located in downtown Juneau, please call 465-1300 to arrange for pickup of your publications.
- All other offices should send their copies by regular mail to Alaska State Library, Attn Government Publications, PO Box 110571, Juneau, AK 99811-0571.
If your publication only exists on the Web, please use our Web Publication Notification Service to let us know so we can take steps to preserve and publicize your document.
List of Alaska Depository Libraries (ADL's)
- Alaska State Library, Juneau (ADL 1 and 5)
- UAF's Elmer E. Rasmuson Library, Fairbanks (ADL 2 and 7)
- UAA Consortium Library , Anchorage (ADL 3)
- Z.J. Loussac Public Library, Anchorage (ADL 6)
- Library of Congress, Washington, D.C. (ADL 4)
- Alaska Resources Library and Information Service, Anchorage (ADL 8)
Finding State & Local Publications
Helpful Publication Lists
- The Core List of Alaska State Publications (PDF)
- Monthly Shipping Lists of the AK State Publications - Replaces Monthly Checklists
- List of annual reports held by State Library in electronic format.
- List of periodicals (journals, magazines, newsletters, etc) held by state library in electronic format.
- Monthly Checklist of Alaska State Publications.this service was suspended June 2002. For current state publications, please see our catalog
- 2002 Cumulative Monthly Checklist (Jan - June 2002) (PDF)
- 2001 Cumulative Monthly Checklist (PDF)
- 2000 Cumulative Monthly Checklist (PDF)
- 1999 Cumulative Monthly Checklist (PDF)
- 1998 Cumulative Monthly Checklist (PDF)
- 1997 Cumulative Monthly Checklist (PDF)
- 1994-96 Cumulative Monthly Checklist (PDF)
Finding State Publications in Library Catalogs
State publications are cataloged into the national database WorldCat put out by OCLC. Please contact your local library or the Alaska State Library Reference Desk at 907.465.2921 for assistance with this database.
All Alaska Depository Libraries have local electronic card catalogs that include Alaska State Publications.
- Anchorage Municipal Library Catalog
- Capital City Libraries’ Catalog (Juneau)
- Goldmine Catalog (University of Alaska Fairbanks)
- Library of Congress' Catalog
Please contact your local library or the Alaska State Library Reference Desk at 907.465.2921 for assistance locating Alaska State publications or further information.
Alaska State Library
PO Box 110571
Juneau, AK 99811-0571