Alaska State Publications
Archived Web Sites of the Alaska State Government
Keyword search historic versions of State agency web pages. You will find archived press releases and speeches from the Governor, State agency publications, video clips, audio files and much more.
- End of Term Web Snapshots (2002 – Present)
- Archived AK Governor and Lt. Governor websites
- Archived AK agency departments websites
The Alaska State Publications Program
The goal of the Alaska State Publications Program is to make state publications freely available to Alaskans by distributing them to local depository libraries. This program is mandated be Alaska Statute 14.56, the State Library Distribution and Data Access Center. Publications produced by state government are timely, pertinent, and provide a wide range of data and information to the public. To ensure that your publications are easy to find, read, and print, check out our 1/2 hour webinar, Best Practices for State Publications, on YouTube.
These publications are usually produced in small numbers by state agencies. Short print runs and scattered publication sites are problems that can be overcome by systematic dissemination through the depository library system. The value of state publications is enhanced by making them widely available to the public.
The benefits of the program to state government are numerous:
- State publications are cataloged into one global and many local library databases. Each database indicates which libraries own individual titles. The public can request these materials through interlibrary loan at their local library.
- Agencies can refer public requests for these materials to libraries. This service is especially valuable when the public is seeking an agency publication that is out-of-print.
- Finally, reference librarians at the depositories are trained to assist the public in finding the publications they need. This assistance can save agencies' staff time.
Submit your publications for distribution to five depository libraries and the State Library will:
- Catalog the title into two major regional and national databases.
- Distribute it to libraries in Alaska and to the Library of Congress.
- Provide reference assistance pertaining to the publication.
- Ensure that future researchers have access to the information.
How to Submit Copies of Publications to the Program
There are three ways that state agencies can send their publications to the Alaska State Publications Program.
- If you are in Juneau and have access to interoffice mail, please send your six copies (five if the publication is available online) to Mail Stop 0571, Attention Government Publications.
- If you do not have access to interoffice mail and your office is located in downtown Juneau, please call 465-1300 to arrange for pickup of your publications.
- All other offices should send their copies by regular mail to Alaska State Library, Attn Government Publications, PO Box 110571, Juneau, AK 99811-0571.
Does your agency have a publication (annual report, newsletter, information update, etc.) that is only available through the web? Make sure it doesn't fall through the cracks and help make it last for the ages! "Give" your web document to the Alaska State Publications Program!
- Send the URL (Internet Address) of your publication to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please be as specific as you can. For example,
NOT http://www.law.state.ak.us for Department of Law Newsletters.
When you send us the URL for your publication. We will make one offline preservation copy and catalog the URL into our catalog and a nationwide database. We will also provide reference assistance on the use and contents of state publications to patrons and librarians throughout Alaska.
As a bonus, we will protect you against link rot! We place a copy of all cataloged electronic publications on our web server to ensure a stable URL. Do your agency a favor and submit your publication URL today!
List of Alaska Depository Libraries (ADL's)
- Alaska State Library, Juneau (ADL 1 and 5)
- UAF's Elmer E. Rasmuson Library, Fairbanks (ADL 2)
- UAA Consortium Library , Anchorage (ADL 3)
- Library of Congress, Washington, D.C. (ADL 4)
- Alaska Resources Library and Information Service, Anchorage (ADL 8)
Finding State & Local Publications
Helpful Publication Lists
- Monthly Shipping Lists of the AK State Publications - Replaces Monthly Checklists
- List of annual reports held by State Library in electronic format.
- List of periodicals (journals, magazines, newsletters, etc) held by state library in electronic format.
Finding State Publications in Library Catalogs
Please contact your local library or the Alaska State Library Reference Desk at 907.465.2920 for assistance locating Alaska State publications or further information.
Alaska State Library
PO Box 110571
Juneau, AK 99811-0571